Friday, February 13, 2009

Pleasure

The cool breeze gently nudges her awake from her early afternoon nap. Stretching and yawning, she sat up and runs her hands through her silky blond hair.

Properly fluffed, she reached down to pick a daffodil, when two squirrels ran up her arm and sat on her shoulders.

Each one briefly whispered in her ear. She smiled and nodded in agreement. The squirrels scampered back down and disappeared into a nearby grove of flowers. One minute later a dozen or so came scampering out of the grove, each carrying a baker's dozen of flowers in their mouths.
They broke off into separate groups, running up her arm and coming to a res on both of her shoulders. Then on a mutual signal, the group executed a high speed weave of flowers throughout her hair.

Three minutes later an intricate weave of lilacs, peonies, daisies, daffodils and mountain laurel was finished. The squirrels then took their leave, pausing long enough to give her a peck on the cheek, before disappearing into the woods.

She takes a handful of hair and inhales. The melded aroma proved to be a powerful intoxicant as she took off running towards a nearby field of sunflowers. Her long blond hair, trailing behind on a cushion of air and flowers gently swaying in the cool mountain breeze, blended in so well with the sunflowers that it looked like she was wearing flowers for hair.

After reaching the other side of the field, she came to a stop in front of a lake. Crystal clear and sweet tasting water, the edge of the lake was rimmed with pine, oak and birch trees, with small bonsais scattered amongst them.

She gazes out through the light mist that glided across the lake, feather touching the surface as though not wanting to spoil the rich blue water with added moisture.

Closing her eyes, she begins to fluff her hair as she silently calls out to the mist. Up hearing her request, the mist seamlessly changes direction and slowly wraps itself around her with its natural coolness.

She cries out as the coolness of the mist makes initial contact, but soon she's enjoying the tranquility as the mist penetrates her thoughts.

She reaches up to brush away a few strands of hair from her face and to her amazement, her hand passes through her head. Taking a closer look, she sees that her body is now becoming one with the mist.

She smiles as the mist tells her that she is now the chosen one for the lake. Turing back to the shore, she blows a kiss to the woodland creatures that had gathered to watch the coronation.

With a clap of thunder, the mist expands and obscures the view of the new chosen one and the lake. When the mist clears, the only thing left behind is a single electric yellow sunflower, standing majestically on the shore.
~~~~~~~~~~
(c) 2009 GBMJr.

6 comments:

  1. Very aromatic! Peonies are my favorite.

    This was a scene from a Disney show for me, I was bouncing through the meadow too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Disney?

    Hmmm....wasn't my intention to copy Disney, but I'm glad I reminded you of a Disney show.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've tried to write along these lines and fail miserably. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks.

    I have developed a knack for writing really strange stuff like this sometimes, but up until recently, I never got around to fleshing any of it out.

    I think it's gonna be a fun thing to explore in the coming weeks/months.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I particularly like the "misty" ending.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks.

    I'm looking forward to exploring similar themes, if only because I find it easier to write short stories with a touch of fantasy to them.

    I guess I learn something new about myself every day.

    ReplyDelete

Go on, give me your best shot. I can take it. If I couldn't, I wouldn't have created this wonderful little blog that you decided to grace with your presence today.

About that comment moderation thingy: While yes, it does say up above I can take it, I only use it to prevent the occasional miscreant from leaving thoughtless and/or clueless comments.

So remember, all of your comments are greatly appreciated and all answers will be given that personal touch that you come to expect and enjoy.

G. B. Miller

The Legal Disclaimer

All the content that you see here, except for the posting of links that refer to other off-blog stories, is (c) 2008-17 by G.B. Miller. Nothing in whole or in part may be used without the express written permission of myself. If you wish to use any part of what you see here, please contact me at georgebjr2006@gmail.com