Friday, November 23, 2012

Not Resting On My Laurels (3)

part 1, part 2

This post was originally supposed to be the final part of a min-series about what novel I should work on next. Part 1 dealt with the pimping of my chapbook, my debut novel and a teaser of sorts. Part 2 featured the back story of incomplete novel #1. Part 3 was supposed to be about incomplete novel #2.

However, as all of you are no doubt aware, the best laid plans often get changed at zero minus twenty.

I actually wrote this entire post (by hand) back in late October prior to the release of my debut. But between the release of my debut and the final post of this mini-series, I managed to do some nifty networking on Facebook with a fellow writer/friend.

She recently came out with a new novel and one day she decided to pimp out her publisher. I chose to comment on it, and after a pleasant conversation that featured among other things, types of story and word length, she gave me a proverbial offer that was too good to pass up: help with my next submission.

So, a few weeks ago, I took out a completed long short story entitled "A Shadow Warrior's Redemption" (not sure if I wrote about this previously on my blog. I think I did, but I'll be damned if I can't remember what tags it went under) and got busy doing another round of edits, mostly to tightened up the structure and dialogue.

It's been a wickedly slow process, 'cause as most of you probably have experienced in your world, sometimes real life takes precedence over extracurricular activities, so you do the best you can, when you can.

And if you think that it's gonna get slower once I get done with another round edits, you are correct. 'Cause not only am I editing this story yet again, but I have to write a synopsis for it as well.

For those of you who were around when I was going through my trials and tribulations in trying to write a synopsis for my novel (damn thing took me about three weeks to write, of which 20 1/2 days were spent procrastinating and the other half day PAICAW*), aka condensing 69K words to a four page outline/story; this time, I have to write synopsis for what will wind up to be about 18,500 words and a good query letter.

*Plant Ass In Chair And Write

The interesting thing about this novella is that while there is some graphic sex (yeah, this will be running theme in perpetuity), it's also chock full of paranormal violence, along with themes of Heaven, Hell, and Purgatory, and with personages of Angels and Demons driving the story.

So to sum things up, I'm not exactly resting on my laurels with my writing. I do have a project in the works (although it's not fresh writing), which will help me stay occupied while I think of a good way to pimp my novel without actually having a print copy to play with yet.

10 comments:

  1. I took yesterday off. I'm hoping to get some writing done today, though

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking forward to reading it! That is my new mantra, about getting up off of the ass and writing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Charles: I actually brought pen and paper and an e-mail of several questions for an upcoming blog interview to work on yesterday, but alas, a very good YA usurpped my writing time. I'm hoping to get to it this weekend.

    Maybe.

    M: Good mantra to have. Wish I could follow that one, but it seems that fresh story writing is on hold while I deal with old writing, new blog writing and blog interview writing.

    Oi vey!

    ReplyDelete
  4. who was it that said great writing is 10% talent and 90% effort? I would agree if it were no too much work

    ReplyDelete
  5. Darth: I think the formula has been updated to 5% talent and 95% effort.

    In any event, it's a great way to add calories, raise your blood pressures and have a major meltdown every other day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. If we have learned anything from the 50 Shades of Grey (Gray?) phenomenon, it's that graphic sex sells.

    ReplyDelete
  7. S.R.: Yes it does.

    Which is what I'm counting on with my book. :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. I guess you do have to sit down and just do it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I find planting my ass in a chair is fairly easy, but writing or just creating anything, much harder. :D And real life getting in the way doesn't help either.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lynn: Sometimes, that is the only choice that is left to me. Whether at work or at home, sometimes, I just got to force myself to do it. And more often than not, something halfway decent comes out.

    Joe: Real life does have that nasty tendency to make the creative juices dry up like a arid wasteland, and sometimes, you just can't do a blessed thing to counteract it.

    And I agree, planting one's butt in a comfy chair is really nice. :D

    ReplyDelete

Go on, give me your best shot. I can take it. If I couldn't, I wouldn't have created this wonderful little blog that you decided to grace with your presence today.

About that comment moderation thingy: While yes, it does say up above I can take it, I only use it to prevent the occasional miscreant from leaving thoughtless and/or clueless comments.

So remember, all of your comments are greatly appreciated and all answers will be given that personal touch that you come to expect and enjoy.

G. B. Miller

The Legal Disclaimer

All the content that you see here, except for the posting of links that refer to other off-blog stories, is (c) 2008-17 by G.B. Miller. Nothing in whole or in part may be used without the express written permission of myself. If you wish to use any part of what you see here, please contact me at georgebjr2006@gmail.com