Saturday, May 24, 2008

"The Topix Jungle": Chapter 1 (Prolouge)

As I mentioned in my intial blog entry, I participate in the online world of Topix. I've been doing this for over 15 months now, and for the most part, it's been pretty good. I started much like everyone else did, by commenting on a story in my local newspaper (The Harford Courant). Shortly after doing that, was offered a link to Topix, which I joined in February 2007.

For the first ten months or so, I posted under my real name, one of the few posters to do so. In July 2007, I created another persona called "Da Bishop", which was based on a fictional character I used for one of the core threads I posted on (The Cult of Personality) back then. The reason for doing so I will explain in future posts, but I spent the next three or four months as that particular persona, which I used to act out as a unbalanced version of me.

By the spring of 2008, I created a third persona, "Cedar Mountain", due to the fact that I wanted to make a clean break from last year's fiasco (more on that in later posts). For the most part, it's been pretty much a success as it's the one I currently post under.

Topix, for the most part, has let me develop, polish and refine to a razor sharpness, my debating skills that I wouldn't have never been able to do in the Real World. But there have been pitfalls and problems associated with Topix that have closely mirrored what you might find in the real world at your current place of employment. The topics that I alluded to briefly, will be covered in future posts. Thus, the reason for the inital title of this post, as each post about Topix will be considered a chapter.

In the coming weeks and months, this will become about one of five major topics this blog will cover. I will try to give my unique point of view regarding my experiences, both past/present and good/bad, with Topix.

As a teaser, one of the items I will cover is the fact that I have one persona completely purged from Topix (Baby Gooey, a unregistered poster), and one other currently suspended from posting as an officially registered poster, but still able to post as an unsigned (grayed out) poster.

I would like to have this major topic be a user guide for the novice and experienced chat room poster/blogger, so that you can avoid the potential headaches that come with participating in an unique Cyber World environment.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Go on, give me your best shot. I can take it. If I couldn't, I wouldn't have created this wonderful little blog that you decided to grace with your presence today.

About that comment moderation thingy: While yes, it does say up above I can take it, I only use it to prevent the occasional miscreant from leaving thoughtless and/or clueless comments.

So remember, all of your comments are greatly appreciated and all answers will be given that personal touch that you come to expect and enjoy.

G. B. Miller

The Legal Disclaimer

All the content that you see here, except for the posting of links that refer to other off-blog stories, is (c) 2008-17 by G.B. Miller. Nothing in whole or in part may be used without the express written permission of myself. If you wish to use any part of what you see here, please contact me at georgebjr2006@gmail.com