Monday, May 26, 2008

"The Topix Jungle": Chapter 2 (Introduction)

As I previously stated, one of the major topics that this blog will cover, will be my experiences as member of the Topix online community. It's safe to say that it has been a very unique and rewarding experience, rewarding in some aspects, while humbling and humiliating in others.

The first few chapters of this story will basically cover my beginning in February 2007 to the present, with other chapters devoted to the other various tangents that I've experienced on a personal level during that same time frame. Additionally, I will post my Topix timeline in three to four month increments, which will be easier for everyone to follow along.

As a disclaimer: The story you are about to read is the truth according to me. The only names that will be used in it, are the online names of the various posters I've met and either became friends with or enemies of. Also as a disclaimer, I unfortunately have very good recall about things, situations and events that have happened in my life. Because of that, I will do my very best to protect their reputation as much as possible. The only person that will be exposed to any kind of scrutiny, positive and negative, will be me. With that said, let's begin.

A note on terminology: I will be using terms that may sound strange but really do make sense. The main terms I will be using, along with a brief explanation, are as follows:
  1. The Nationals: This term will be used to describe the the main forums that are in Topix. They are Forums & Polls; Top Stories; Popular; Local; US News; World News; Science & Technology; Sports; Entertainment; Offbeat; Video; 2008 Elections.
  2. Local(s): This term will be used to describe the forums that are run by the media partners affiliated with Topix, i.e. your local newspaper has stories online that you can comment on.
  3. Threads: This term is used to describe any topic, story or poll that you can comment on.
  4. Registered User/Unsigned/Persona: This term is used to describe anyone who has officially joined the Topix community. As an official member, it lets you basically custom design your profile or even become a story editor. It also let's you track the amount of posts you make.
  5. Greyed out/Unregistered user: Basically, any one who isn't registered. You don't need to register in order to comment. You can use any kind of name on, so long as it isn't a dirty word, to post under.

These are the basic terms that I will be using throughout the course of this narrative. Other terms that I may use, I will explain them in a way that will be easy to understand. Now that I have set the ground rules, it's time for me to take everyone on a truly unique tour of one very good online community.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Go on, give me your best shot. I can take it. If I couldn't, I wouldn't have created this wonderful little blog that you decided to grace with your presence today.

About that comment moderation thingy: While yes, it does say up above I can take it, I only use it to prevent the occasional miscreant from leaving thoughtless and/or clueless comments.

So remember, all of your comments are greatly appreciated and all answers will be given that personal touch that you come to expect and enjoy.

G. B. Miller

The Legal Disclaimer

All the content that you see here, except for the posting of links that refer to other off-blog stories, is (c) 2008-17 by G.B. Miller. Nothing in whole or in part may be used without the express written permission of myself. If you wish to use any part of what you see here, please contact me at georgebjr2006@gmail.com