Saturday, October 11, 2008

Hey! I'm Trying To Be Bored Here!

(Or so said my daughter last year while riding in a car full of happy people)

In any event, today's post will have random snippets about the various things that have been going on in my world for the past week or so. I wasn't able to flesh out these snippets into longer stand alone posts, so I figured to put them all together and make one decent size post. The fun thing about these snippets, is that they'll cover just every major topic that this blog is about: chat rooms, relationships, work, blogging, and writing.

Snippet #1: Right now in the chat rooms I'm dealing with both the blithering idiot and the refreshingly inquisitive. The blithering idiot I'm currently dealing with is located in a wrestling related forum. I'm not sure even how to describe his state of mind, beyond the fact that he really hates to be disagreed with, hates that someone stands up to him and picks fights just to make himself look superior. 'Nuff said. As for the refreshingly inquisitive, it's been a blast to deal with. I met a teacher in my local forum this past summer, and for the past month or so, she has been taking baby steps in exploring the Topix chat room forums. Which means a lot of questions are asked in preparation for exploration. I've been more than happy to share my "expertise" with her, and it's done wonders for my chat room state of mind. I haven't been this relaxed in a chat room for months and I'm enjoying every minute of it.

Snippet #2: My personal relationships are going quite well, in both the Real World and the Cyber World. In the RW, I'm trying to co-ordinate a large get together at the end of the month, for all my former co-workers/refugees from my previous place of employment. Most of the people who have committed to this (13 so far), I haven't seen in over two and half years, and I'm really looking forward to seeing them. In the CW, things are going okay. It's been a bumpy few weeks, but things are slowly getting back to normal. Right now, I think everyone is taking a behind the scenes break from me, which is okay, because I kind of need that right now myself.

Snippet #3: Work is basically SSDD. The highlight of my work week was going to my facility yesterday to do my payroll. Uggh.

Snippet #4: Blogging has gone really well. The slower pace has done wonders for my sanity, and has allowed me a lot of breathing room and time to create meatier posts. The flareup from a few days ago (which was my last post done), was nothing more than that. The other person involved declined my offer to move the discussion over here. What's done is done. I would like to thank everyone again for visiting/commenting on my blog, as I'm very grateful for the uptick in traffic this week, and every week for that matter.

Snippet #5: Writing has come to a standstill again, as the short story I'm currently working on, I'm now currently stuck. The problem I'm having is something I haven't really experienced before, but I'm sure the writers out there have, at one point or another. I'm tweaking one of my plot lines so that it would make more sense as I go into the home stretch with it. The way I currently wrote the small scene doesn't make sense at all. In fact, it's downright confusing, so I can see why some people who read it the story, would be left scratching their heads afterwards. So my goal this weekend, is to hopefully write my way out of this particular quandary and finish up the story. I believe once I can get over this small hurdle, everything else should drop into place.

Snippet #6: Not much really to give as an update for the novel. Right now I'm waiting for it to be printed by the publisher. Once I get that initial copy, I figure I got about a one to two week window to get everything else into place (another blog to sell it on, creating a small business acct., new mail addy, among other things). Until then, it's just...a....matter....of....waiting....it...out.

This is another example of the completion backwards principle. If you can possibly manage the time, please play both sides at one meaning. (Fee Waybill)

10 comments:

  1. I'm having a little writer's block myself with this month's column. yuck. I hate it. Also, do you recommend finding an agent for my children's books, or should I plug along with publishers? Just looking for some direction......

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would try taking a shot at landing an agent. The fact that you're a published writer (newspaper columns) will help tremendously.

    There is a very good book out there put out by The Writer's Digest called "Guide to Literary Agents". It's updated yearly and has a wonderful list of agents, specializing in all types of genres.

    If you check out some of the other blogs that we have in common (Travis Erwins's blog for examply)he has links to a few blogs published by other literary agents.

    Hope I was able to help.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish I had some advice for you, but all I have is that I just really admire you and other folks who can write fiction. Im completely incapable of that kind of story telling. These certainly are meaty posts though!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thank you for the compliment.

    I really admire people, such as yourself, who can blog and write non-fiction with comparable ease.

    Blogging is, I believe, the ultimate writing challenge. Anyone can write a decent short story, but the time it takes for it to be queried, submitted, accepted and finally published, is excruciatingly slow. On the other hand, with blogging, your stuff is immediately front and center to the masses. If they like what you write, they'll come back. If they don't, they won't.

    It is the ultimate thrill.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hiya. I feel that it's amazing that if we blog right and find our voice we can be the authors of the future without publishers and editors. Thank you for sharing and showing how hard it can be to write but how rewarding it can also be.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're more than welcome.

    I feel beyond a shadow of a doubt (cliched I know), that blogging has really opened up a whole new world for me and my writing.

    I will always be indebted to everyone who had faith in my ability to write and to those who thought I needed a better place to write creatively.

    And always an enternal debt of gratitude to each and everyone who has been kind enough to stop by and read my blog, even if it's out of pure curiousity.

    Thanks for stopping by and I hope you can return again soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I havent had writers block yet, I have had "cant be botheredness" going on which is why my posts are lacking more and more. They say the average blog lasts no longer than 6 months, and I am on month 10, so I guess I was going to get there! I really should get involved in some of the more "talkative" posts that have been going on. Put my serious 2 pennies in the pot once in a while and see how it comes out. Hell, I dont do it in real life, so I have to try it one day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's an interesting observation about the length of time that blogs last.

    I've come across a few blogs that have been around for quite a few years. As a matter of fact, our mutual friend crseum just celebrated her 500th post.

    That said, it does seem that my writer's block was/is tilted more towards the blog than my writing, which is why I cut down to a less frenetic pace to begin with. Making do with less has seem to do the trick, since the block on the blog side has gone away.

    Like you, maybe I should try to liven my blog up by adding something different, perhaps a humor piece or two, just to give a slight change of pace.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like everything's going swell in both worlds!! I hope you can keep your sanity and stay on track for the rest of your book!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I got back on track this weekend. I was able to finish the part I was stuck on late Saturday night, and I've been merrily pecking away for the past couple of days.

    The problem I had was that I radically tweaked the secondary plotline and I was at loss on how to meld it with the main plot.

    I think when all is said and done, I'll have a very nice chapbook to publish next year.

    ReplyDelete

Go on, give me your best shot. I can take it. If I couldn't, I wouldn't have created this wonderful little blog that you decided to grace with your presence today.

About that comment moderation thingy: While yes, it does say up above I can take it, I only use it to prevent the occasional miscreant from leaving thoughtless and/or clueless comments.

So remember, all of your comments are greatly appreciated and all answers will be given that personal touch that you come to expect and enjoy.

G. B. Miller

The Legal Disclaimer

All the content that you see here, except for the posting of links that refer to other off-blog stories, is (c) 2008-17 by G.B. Miller. Nothing in whole or in part may be used without the express written permission of myself. If you wish to use any part of what you see here, please contact me at georgebjr2006@gmail.com