Wednesday, January 14, 2009

The Wrap Up To "Golden Texas Tea"

How-dy.

So we have reached the end of our little journey. For those of you who have come in fashionably late, a brief recap is in order.

This story was my very first attempt at writing a sequel to my debut novel, Shades of Love. It was supposed to be the first of about two or three stories which attempted to move about four years in the future with the happy couples and show what had ultimately happened to them.

I still intend to write something of a sequel to that novel as I plan on turning about four of my short stories into something more coherent. I've already re-written one (A Betrayal of Vows) and I'm currently in the process of the first round of editing. Not sure if I'm going to keep it as a chapbook or continue to turn it into a longer novel, or do both. In any event, it's a pleasant dilemma to have.

However, that is not the point of this post. The point of this rare double post is to ask you the reader, your honest critique of my story. I'm looking for good feedback, as I plan on turning this into another chapbook, and obviously, as it presently stands, it simply isn't that worthy.

So tell me honestly, what you liked, what you disliked, what needs pumping up, or what needs toning down. Whatever your opinion is, no matter how brief or detailed it may be, I want to know. It's only through readers like you, that can help me grow as a writer.

So as it says in the comment section, Give me your best shot. I can take it. If I couldn't, I wouldn't have created this neat little blog that you decided to grace with your presence today.

I sincerely thank you in advance for your participation in this endeavor.

8 comments:

  1. Hum, reading a story like this in segments can make it hard to comment on overall aspects. I'll have to give it some thoughts.

    I don't recall any specific serious issues with the story. I think one thing that you might be able to strengthen is the "visualization" aspects, which helps the reader "live" the story rather than feel like they are being told the story.

    If that makes any sense.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Visualization. Hmmm...sounds like something I can definitely look into and apply.

    I think I understand the concept. I've read quite a few books that I really couldn't put down because I got so immersed in them.

    I can also understand the problem of commenting on a story that's presented in segments, and I appreciate the comments that you made throughout my little endeavor.

    Thanks for the advice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey George, I just read the whole story in one sitting. I liked the plot and shocking turn of events.

    I was thinking a little more backstory to illustrate and explain the crappy relationship between the kids and the step-mom. I was left wondering why the kids were living with Wally. And also what their marriage has been like for the last 4 years.

    Since Azalea flew out to surprise him I thought she would walk-in on the two of them. I was kind of curious to know what was in Wally's head and why he was cheating, too.

    I think you have a great plot going and a great potential to expand on the story.

    TRUTH

    ReplyDelete
  4. You made some excellent points there, which I will definitely incorporate into the story when I do the re-write. If anything, walking in on them would make much more sense than her finding out by cell phone.

    Like I said waaaay back at the beginning, this was my first attempt at writing a sequel to the novel, so I tried to use a few of the people from the novel with this story.

    I thank you for the compliments.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really do think you have a great plot line going with some serious potential. Especially with that definative tragic ending.

    TRUTH

    ReplyDelete
  6. Truth: Thanks again for the compliment.

    It seems that I have a knack for bitter endings in regards to relationships.

    Sad that I can't quite bring myself to write a happy ending to any of my stories.

    Almost.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey, I'm not sure if I have read enough of the sequel posts to qualify as a commenter on this, but maybe in future fiction posts I'll offer my two cents worth?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jannie, that would be fine.

    I don't mind even if you did it on the previous stuff I wrote.

    Whether you read only one page of my story or multiple pages of my story, it still gives you the right to comment and critique.

    I can't improve as a writer if I don't get honest feedback from complete strangers who read my work.

    ReplyDelete

Go on, give me your best shot. I can take it. If I couldn't, I wouldn't have created this wonderful little blog that you decided to grace with your presence today.

About that comment moderation thingy: While yes, it does say up above I can take it, I only use it to prevent the occasional miscreant from leaving thoughtless and/or clueless comments.

So remember, all of your comments are greatly appreciated and all answers will be given that personal touch that you come to expect and enjoy.

G. B. Miller

The Legal Disclaimer

All the content that you see here, except for the posting of links that refer to other off-blog stories, is (c) 2008-17 by G.B. Miller. Nothing in whole or in part may be used without the express written permission of myself. If you wish to use any part of what you see here, please contact me at georgebjr2006@gmail.com