Thursday, October 29, 2009

The Weapon of Choice

This next story is part two of the aforementioned W.i.P. that I'm writing for Flashing Georgie's Shorts, entitled "Persona Non Grata". Part 1 is here.

What originally inspired it (and in hindsight, the reason was extremely lame) was a letter. This letter, written by someone else while they were a teenager, was found by me in a stack of 45's and a few LP's that my brother came across and gave to me about a year and half ago.

The letter was basically about a week in the life of the writer, who was writing to a friend of hers at a boarding school. For reasons unknown, it was never mailed. I came across it while I was busy sorting out the LP's, in one of the inner record jackets.

Anyways, I'm not sure why the letter originally inspired me, other than maybe the writer was being pestered by a male classmate (letter was apparently being written during a class/study hall). Maybe I wrote it as a revenge story, I don't know. In any event, this particular story started the ball rolling on writing a longer, more complex scenario involving these two particular ladies. Also, it helped move along another series of stories that I was started to write as a parallel to these two. Those stories have formed the basis of the other blog W.i.P called "The Anointed One".

Only time will tell how these will play out in the end. If I can do something with them, then both stories will probably make an appearance about this time next year. If I can't, it won't.

As the per the custom as of late, no lead in paragraphs and the comments are open here, just the link.

Enjoy!

6 comments:

  1. An old letter seems a very interesting catalyst for a story idea, not lame at all I'd say. Inspiration can hit from anywhere, always good to run with it when it seeks you out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, it wasn't the entire letter that did it, although it was a fascinating glimpse into a slice of the early 80's, but simply one small paragraph about the writer being bothered by a boy in study hall.

    At the time, it was a good inspiration, but when I finished the story, there seemed to be a major disconnect to the actual inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very interesting story behind the story.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks.

    I should of done this from the very beginning. Would of given people more to think about when they were reading the story.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't think that's lame at all. It's neat. A really neat jumping off point. I've been inspired by inscriptions in old books before and, as Jannie says, inspiration can come from anywhere and it's neat where it leads you creatively.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is true.

    I've been inspired by diverse things such as:

    Stop signs; tee shirts; the Bible; nature and a casual comment or two from co-workers.

    ReplyDelete

Go on, give me your best shot. I can take it. If I couldn't, I wouldn't have created this wonderful little blog that you decided to grace with your presence today.

About that comment moderation thingy: While yes, it does say up above I can take it, I only use it to prevent the occasional miscreant from leaving thoughtless and/or clueless comments.

So remember, all of your comments are greatly appreciated and all answers will be given that personal touch that you come to expect and enjoy.

G. B. Miller

The Legal Disclaimer

All the content that you see here, except for the posting of links that refer to other off-blog stories, is (c) 2008-17 by G.B. Miller. Nothing in whole or in part may be used without the express written permission of myself. If you wish to use any part of what you see here, please contact me at georgebjr2006@gmail.com