Saturday, November 14, 2009

Me So Horny, Me Love You Long Time (2)

part 1

Note: If you access my blog from your job (which can be a good thing), some of the referral links may be unavailable to you if your I.T. department blocks anything adult rated from your computer, as they take you directly to my other blog, which is as a matter of public record, adult rated.

About the time I decided to work on incorporating sexual themes in my writing without turning people off, I started to get hooked on writing flash fiction. Back in early February, I wrote a piece of flash fiction for this blog entitled Pleasure. I had gotten such a good response to it that I decided to give writing that particular style a try. I had previously pooh-poohed the idea of writing flash fiction, simply because I had thought myself purely incapable of writing something that short.

Note: as a matter of record, the only sub 1500 word story I wrote prior to that particular piece of flash, was a story called "Cedar Mountain", of which the link can be found at the top of this blog, back in the late summer of 2007.

But like everything else I take a fancy to, I dove into this feet first. I started churning out the stuff like you wouldn't believe. At first, they were simply straightforward stories that were lightly flavored with double entendres. But after about four stories, I started writing stuff that was becoming more heavily flavored with sex.

While I was writing this stuff out, I came up with the idea of posting this stuff on my blog. But considering how provocative my writing was becoming, I didn't want to run the risk of getting my blog flagged for content issues.

Enter Flashing Georgie's Shorts. This blog became my new home for my latest obsession, which was flash fiction. While I was churning out stories for the blog, I was also practicing on how to properly write sexual themes into my stories.

I finally arrived at a crossroads with a particular short story about a performance artist dying on stage called Audio Dynamyte. It was extremely graphic, and I was leery about posting it on my short story blog, because up until that time, my blog was still sitting in PG-13 land and wasn't even remotely in sniffing range of NC-17. I also was reluctant about posting it on this blog, because while this blog would sometimes see the land of R, there was no way it would even come close to sniffing NC-17.

So after posing this question to you the reader and getting some good feedback, I decided to post it on the other blog. I also decided to make it adult rated, that way I could head off any problems with censorship.

That story was my first real attempt at using sex as a weapon. While it was a bit clunky (admit it, you agree with me on that point), it was nevertheless a decent breakthrough with my writing. Prior to that, while my stories were somewhat rich in detail, they were for the most part, inoffensive as all get out.
~~~~~~~~
Up next: How I use what I see.

7 comments:

  1. I don't think writers should worry about who they should offend - do that and you automatically stifle your ideas. That said, I have to tell you it was creepy reading my brother's sex scene in a novella! (We are a family of writers.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've really been enjoying writing flash fiction myself, especially as a break from longer fiction.

    ReplyDelete
  3. R.K.: I think it took me a while to get over offending people with what I write. I'm still a little leery of showing certain stories to close friends of mine, simply because I'm not sure how they would react, and more importantly, if that reaction would cause a small rift between us.

    As for your brother's writing, that does indeed sound a bit creepy. But sometimes, it's a great way to find a previously unknown facet about someone.

    Charles: I found writing flash was a decent break from the longer stuff as well. I still got a few stashed somewhere for future use, as I found it's become a decent outlet for when I need to simply write something, but not wanting to go whole hog with a 10+ page story.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Go with your Muse! Don't worry about offending your audience. Ride your creative train and you'll see how your journey evolves. It's right to honor the voice that is brewing within you right now. If a story has to be born, then let it happen. Your readers will appreciate your dive into that creative moment.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Most definitely. I've been riding the creative train for quite sometime now, slow but sure. Its only been in this past year that its been chugging along at a faster speed.

    The muse goes wherever it wants to, and like a loyal subject, I follow along willingly.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You definately deserve to write what you're good at, n passionate about without reservation. But yes, the publish issue you have wisely solved.
    In a public forum, you do need to worry little kids may find it on unsecure machines.

    Now, you are defined by your writings!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That was only a small part as to why I made my other blog adult rated.

    While I am concerned about children getting access to my blog (frankly, the unsecured machine was something I hadn't even thought of) my main concern was and always will be censorship.

    I came from an environment that did a lot of censoring (and purging) of material if someone happened to make a complaint about it. I wanted to go somewhere where I wouldn't have to worry about this kind of issue, especially with the way that I write.

    Putting that page up in front of my blog was the simplest and most effective way of solving that problem.

    ReplyDelete

Go on, give me your best shot. I can take it. If I couldn't, I wouldn't have created this wonderful little blog that you decided to grace with your presence today.

About that comment moderation thingy: While yes, it does say up above I can take it, I only use it to prevent the occasional miscreant from leaving thoughtless and/or clueless comments.

So remember, all of your comments are greatly appreciated and all answers will be given that personal touch that you come to expect and enjoy.

G. B. Miller

The Legal Disclaimer

All the content that you see here, except for the posting of links that refer to other off-blog stories, is (c) 2008-17 by G.B. Miller. Nothing in whole or in part may be used without the express written permission of myself. If you wish to use any part of what you see here, please contact me at georgebjr2006@gmail.com