Saturday, November 28, 2009

Psalm 23

And finally, the last piece of flash fiction to grace Flashing Georgie's Shorts for the foreseeable future.

I wanted to close out the flash fiction portion of the blog with a story that I consider to be one of the best of the fifty odd flash fiction shorts that have graced the blog in the past eight months. It's somewhat similar to my short story Cedar Mountain (of which the link can be found at the top of the blog), in that it has a bit of spirituality to it.

How it came to be is an interesting story indeed. Back in August of this year, I drove my wife up to where my mother has her RV stored in Litchfield, CT. It was an absolutely gorgeous Saturday with temps in the lo 80's which made driving with the sunroof open and windows down absolutely fantastic.

Anyways, on the drive home, the beautiful mountain/valley scenery was just so exhilarating and breathtaking that I decided to write a story about it. However, I didn't want to write another story just like Cedar Mountain, so I decided to write it based on a verse from the Bible. Problem was, even though I knew what verse I wanted to use, I didn't know where exactly the verse was.

Enter Facebook. I posted the question on Facebook, asking my friends if they could tell me what was the name of the verse that is always quoted in the movies whenever someone was about to be executed. My good friend Lisa was kind enough to answer my question for me.

Thus, by the time the weekend was done, and with a good copy of the Bible to use as a reference guide, I had this story completed and put to bed.

So giving credit where credit is due, the inspiration tag for the story features a thank you to my friend Lisa.

Once again, I thank all of you for your patronage to Flashing Georgie's Shorts this year, and I hope you'll stick around to experience the new serialized version of Flashing Georgie's Shorts.

Click here for the full story

3 comments:

  1. So glad I could help, G -- and the story turned out great! Can't wait to read what you come up with next... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lisa: You're more than welcome. I always give credit where credit is due, and you came through for me in my time of need.

    R.K.: It was a little bit at that. Because of what that particular Psalm is about and where it's usually spoken, I wanted to keep it in that same vein.

    Thus the little hints and what not along the way. The very last paragraph was the only part that gave me difficulty, because I didn't want it to sound completely callous or tasteless.

    I think it worked out for the best though.

    ReplyDelete

Go on, give me your best shot. I can take it. If I couldn't, I wouldn't have created this wonderful little blog that you decided to grace with your presence today.

About that comment moderation thingy: While yes, it does say up above I can take it, I only use it to prevent the occasional miscreant from leaving thoughtless and/or clueless comments.

So remember, all of your comments are greatly appreciated and all answers will be given that personal touch that you come to expect and enjoy.

G. B. Miller

The Legal Disclaimer

All the content that you see here, except for the posting of links that refer to other off-blog stories, is (c) 2008-17 by G.B. Miller. Nothing in whole or in part may be used without the express written permission of myself. If you wish to use any part of what you see here, please contact me at georgebjr2006@gmail.com