Thursday, January 7, 2010

FSG Is Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack!

Today's post will mark the official return of Flashing Georgie's Shorts. After a five week hiatus, my world famous short story blog is back in action. New and improved, it will contain the following features for your enjoyment and enlightenment:

1} The medium short story that was and will always be the trademark on what I write, will now be featured in serialized form. Each week's post will have links for the prior installments, so that you can stay up to speed. Also, each week's post on this blog will contain a brief summation on the action leading up to that week's installments.

2} To break up the pacing between stories (ain't nothing worse than ending one story and going right into the next one without a break), the occasional piece of flash fiction will be featured, as well as brief excerpts on whatever I happen to be working on at the given time.

3} I gave it a lot of thought and have decided to post my stories in the form of two pages per installment. Thus, a ten page story (like the first one being featured) will last five weeks, as opposed to ten weeks. Also, I'll be showing only one post at a time on the blog.

4} The one thing that will remain the same, is that it will continue to be posted every Wednesday.

The first story that will be appearing on FSG is called The Right Thing. The background on this story was pretty much the same as with the other stories that appeared on FSG: I got inspired by something that happened during my day-to-day activities, which in this case was doing my Saturday morning errands and stopping at CVS. At my stop, I happened to observe a rather good looking lady in her mid-30's doing some shopping with her husband and son. This lady made such a lasting impression that was I inspired to write a story about her.

What made this story particular story different from the other forty-one stories that were previously posted, was that it featured some background flavoring in the form of our town's local 4th of July celebration called "The Extravaganza!". I believe this was the very first time that I used a well known event (albeit local) as a major backdrop for a story. The other item that made this story stand out, was the fact that it blew up in my face. The further along I got in writing it, the more difficult it became to keep it under my self-imposed cap of four pages.

So, without further ado, here is the first installment of my short story entitled The Right Thing.

11 comments:

  1. It will be interesting to see where this goes. You know - I never thought about adult movie camera crews having to meet people and let them know what they do for a living...

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a funny thing. The first book I wrote (Shades of Love) featured a bunch of bizarre plot ideas, of which one was that the secondary character was a casting director for an adult movie company.

    That particular idea has stayed with me through thick and thin for the past three plus years.

    I figured since that adult movies are so mainstream now, it would almost secondary nature for a person whose in that industry to mention what they do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Forgive the delay, but...the best of 2010 to you & yours!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks. Glad to hear that you're out and about again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just read the first installment, and I'm interested to find out where it goes as well!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you, young lady.

    It should be interesting to see where it goes to as well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's cool, Georgie!! Always a great feeling to have a plan -- my blog plan is to post M-W-F!! Whoo-freaking-hoo!!!!

    Have a sun-shiney excellent Conneticut day!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. i haz a plan too -- eet mor karrits!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jannie: Thanks. It's funny but the easiest thing for me to make a decision on was to keep the same posting pattern like I did with the short stories.

    The second easiest thing for me to decide on was to simply show one post per week on the blog.

    As for this one, the pattern will always remain every other day.

    Blue Bunny: eetin' moor karots is alwheys gud, but I's started eating cucumbers.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glad to hear that Flashing Georgie Shorts are up and running! I'm excited to go read the first installment. I know I'll enjoy the ride :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Kelly: Thanks.

    I was glad to bring it back up. Kind of drove me nuts to have it down that long, but I wanted to make sure that I had enough stories to last through the summer. Once the summer rolls around, we'll see what we can do with it then.

    ReplyDelete

Go on, give me your best shot. I can take it. If I couldn't, I wouldn't have created this wonderful little blog that you decided to grace with your presence today.

About that comment moderation thingy: While yes, it does say up above I can take it, I only use it to prevent the occasional miscreant from leaving thoughtless and/or clueless comments.

So remember, all of your comments are greatly appreciated and all answers will be given that personal touch that you come to expect and enjoy.

G. B. Miller

The Legal Disclaimer

All the content that you see here, except for the posting of links that refer to other off-blog stories, is (c) 2008-17 by G.B. Miller. Nothing in whole or in part may be used without the express written permission of myself. If you wish to use any part of what you see here, please contact me at georgebjr2006@gmail.com