Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Incompleteness (4)

Before we move on to part two of this particular story arc, does anyone have any questions about what they've read so far? Content? Why I wrote it that why? Why I was going off in that particular direction to begin with? No? Well then, let's move along to part two.

I had problems galore with this particular story, most notably trying to figure out where the breaks should be. My original intent was to make each one a stand alone serial, which is why they are so short to begin with. Problem was, since that kind of short story writing isn't exactly my forte, I didn't know where to properly stop. I kind of was getting the hang of it with this story, and by the time you read the last part next week, I had it down pat.

In this story, I expanded just a tiny bit on the twins peculiar relationship, and gave another shot at writing violence without going over the top with it. Also in this story, I introduce what you can probably call a "bounty hunter" into the mix. Or rather, an alien bounty hunter, since the overall theme of this story is vampires, which is sort of alienish. Right?

I know I'm not quite making sense with this post, because I'm having a hard time trying to remember what the original concept was with this story. However, when I start posting the companion long story entitled The Anointed One, you should be able to get a clearer picture of what the original concept was, especially since I'm now remembering it as I type this paragraph.

Concept for this story: Vampires/aliens on Earth. Concept for the other story: Alien life form, circa DS9 (if you follow Star Trek, you'll get the reference). Other story, a bit nastier with the violence and sex.

In any event, its something to look forward to. As for here, I now present to you part two of Persona Non Grata (On A Mission).

The action picks up in the desert where Aissa is now on her bike rolling down the highway.

10 comments:

  1. Golly - you have some imagination, G.

    ReplyDelete
  2. R.K.: What way? Can you be a litte more specific with your question, because I'm not sure how to go about answering it.

    Lynn: Yeah, I do. Not sure what I was trying to write but I'm sure it would've gotten progressively violent and extremely messier.

    Or sexual.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Apparently, my comprehension skills are a bit rusty tonight, so we're gonna take it from the top, again.

    R.K.: I was still in that particular writing mood that all newbie writers get when they first write about the opposite sex, so I was curious about exploring the twin themes of siblings and incest. I didn't really know where I was going with it, other than I didn't want to cross that proverbial line. I wanted to keep on a very sensual level and not even remotely drift over into something sexual.

    The violence seemed to fit as I was working within that overall theme of vampires and aliens.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You definitely know how to build the intensity in a scene. Are you going to have the twins differentiate themselves more? Or do you like the twin mirroring personality angle? I think either approach would work for this story.

    It's funny that I'm not rooting for these "girls." I usually do sit in the female character's corner. I'm so used to reading and sympathizing with Jane Austen like heroines. Do you think you'll attract more of a male audience with this story? I always wonder about whether my fiction would naturally gravitate towards a female tone. As a writer, do you think of the gender pull of your readers? Or do you just write and see where it goes? I know I just write, but now I'm wondering about whether a writer should even consider the gender stamp perhaps unknowingly connected with a piece of writing. Sorry for going on and on. You got me thinking:)

    I have to admit that you do have my interest with these stories. It's a departure from my usual reading choices. It's probably good for a writer and a reader to venture into some unfamiliar territory once in a while.

    Did any of this make sense? I think I'm sounding punchy :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, I think this is one of the longest comments you've ever left here. So I'm gonna try my best in answering it, and no, you don't sound punchy.

    I think I was starting to write them as a mix: sometimes distinctive, sometimes similiar. I do know I was starting to make Aissa the dominant twin in this relationship, and have Ashanit become the more volatile twin.

    I think that for the most part, I've always gunned for a male audience, hence the heavy sexual overtones/overtures/etc.. that are becoming a staple of my stories. It's only been recently (about a year) that I've tried expanding both my horizons and my readership.

    I'm in a bit of a quandry with my writing. Even though I've been gunning for a male audience, I haven't written my female characters in that particular way. I decided from day one to write my female characters as strong individuals, yet vunerable when the situations calls for it.

    As for this story, I would like to think that I would attract the male audience simply because of the violence, the babes and the sex that is/would be contained within. But I know to catch the others, I need to make my stories more meatier I would think.

    I generally to both. I write to see where it goes and I try to consider the gender pull. It's tough to balance out the two when you're writing the type of stuff I'm writing because it has a tendency to lean strongly towards the male gender.

    But I'm glad I got you to thinking. It's funny, but it seems that for the most part, the only females I've got reading my stuff (that I know of) is my fellow bloggers and some people from work. Which considering what I write, I find to be highly unusual.

    ReplyDelete
  6. G, thanks for responding to all my questions. Hope I didn't push my commenting limits with you :)

    Once again, thanks for jump starting my thinking about writing characters. I do like the strength that you give to your female leads.

    Well, thanks to my little girl (the female lead in this house :) I have to go now. Not a long comment this time!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kelly: You're more than welcome. It was actually quite refreshing to answer those questions. Usually the comments I get are succint and to the point, which makes my answers succint and to the point. So this was a most refreshing change of pace.

    And I'm glad I was able to give you that little nudge about writing fiction (or meatier poems).

    ReplyDelete
  8. G: I was just being silly, 'cause that was one of the questions you asked if we were wondering ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. S'okay.

    My comprehension skills were something less than disirable that day.

    Even worse today.

    I think it's gonna be a very long weekend.

    ReplyDelete

Go on, give me your best shot. I can take it. If I couldn't, I wouldn't have created this wonderful little blog that you decided to grace with your presence today.

About that comment moderation thingy: While yes, it does say up above I can take it, I only use it to prevent the occasional miscreant from leaving thoughtless and/or clueless comments.

So remember, all of your comments are greatly appreciated and all answers will be given that personal touch that you come to expect and enjoy.

G. B. Miller

The Legal Disclaimer

All the content that you see here, except for the posting of links that refer to other off-blog stories, is (c) 2008-17 by G.B. Miller. Nothing in whole or in part may be used without the express written permission of myself. If you wish to use any part of what you see here, please contact me at georgebjr2006@gmail.com