Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Excuse Me?

Okay, we're almost back into the schwing of things as it pertains to FSG. I have two more short stories to share with you before we had back into the serials. This one has a Rube Goldberg type of background to it, so I'm gonna try my best not to get everyone completely lost. If you don't know what a Rube Goldberg is, chances are that 1} you're under the age of 60 and thus will need to click on the Wikipedia link for a more in depth explanation or 2} you aren't a die hard comic strip enthusiast, and thus will need to click on the Wikipedia link for a more in depth explanation or 3} you haven't read MAD or CRACKED magazine.

So.

On April Fool's day 2009, I published a nifty little short called "Uncomfortable" in which the basis of the story was a conversation I had with a couple of my friends over the peculiar turn my writing had taken. However that had nothing to do with this (or does it?), so forget about that and concentrate on this.

Take two.

Exactly one year and three weeks ago, while I was in the midst of churning out a sizeable chunk of flash/short fiction, I decided to take a stab at writing a true serial. What I mean by true is that instead of writing a twenty to thirty page monstrosity and posting it two pages at a clip, I wrote self-contained individual stories.

The first one was called "WYSIWYG", which if you blog, you know it's the acronym for What You See Is What You Get. This story was not quite like the others, because unlike the others that I'd posted, this one suffered from the malady of No Plot For You!. But, in spite that malady, I kept on writing because I figure sooner or later I would wind up with a plot.

Eventually, I wound up with a plot. Sort of. Well, not really. The very skeletal plot was that the female in the story wanted to tell the male in the story something. Problem was, I had no clue on what that something was. But that didn't stop me, no sir, because I knew that if I kept on writing it, I would eventually come up with that particular something.

So I rambled along, posting "WYSINWYG" (What You See Is Not What You Get) in early July; posting "WTHWYT?" (What The Hell Were You Thinking?) in early August; and finally "Black & Black" in mid September. When I wrote the last line of "Black & Black", I knew right then and there that I was hip deep in pig poop. Why? Because I still didn't have the foggiest idea on what the female character wanted to say. Twenty five plus pages and I was like a guy with a vasectomy having sex.

So.

After thinking about it for a month, I gave up, put the serial to bed, and yelled at my muse for being so tantalizingly cruel to me.

Fast forward to this year. I had just relaunched FSG after a one month hiatus, and while I had about five stories lined up lined up for posting, I decided that I still needed another story or two to carry me into the late summer/early fall for the blog. So I dusted off the incomplete serial called "My Inner Sanctum" and began reading. After about a day or so, I finally came up with what I wanted the female to ask the male in the story.

About a week later, the story was done. Now, here's the strange part. Unlike last week's short story, in which I wrote a few days after a blog post in May, this one I wrote in the first week of January. Please keep that thought in mind when you read this, because even though this story has no connection whatsoever to last week's, is actually the polar opposite of last week's. Last week's showed one possible outcome of that Friends with Benefits issue. Today's will show another possible outcome to that same Friends with Benefits issue.

For your reading enjoyment, I would like to present to you, my short story entitled Excuse Me?. This story concludes the "My Inner Sanctum" serial. If you need to be brought up to speed, I have linked up the previous five stories for your convenience.

9 comments:

  1. I enjoyed reading the piece. Good way to solve the question mystery.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks.

    Sometimes if you leave things alone long enough, you'll eventually come up with a solution.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used to love those Rube Goldberg cartoons in Cracked. I would spend about 10 minutes looking over just one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never really understood Rube Goldberg until I started reading his comic strip at my first job in the mid-90's.

    Fantastic stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You seem to be focusing on the friends with benefits theme recently... :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just jogging down memory lane for a little while.

    It's a great theme to touch upon, simply because I've been touched (strictly in a roundabout way) over the years by the topic, and I find it such an interesting thing to write about.

    Not only with these two stories, but the chapbook touches on it and my badly written first book also touches on it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Isn't it a good feeling when the piece you are writing comes together finally in your head? I think that's a good plan - to leave it alone and the words then come.

    ReplyDelete
  8. G, I'm amazed at the sheer output of material you have done.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lynn: Most definitely. I'm starting to do that a little with a few of the incompletes I got sitting on the back burner right now. The one I mentioned in the post of the 21st I haven't touched in about a week because I got a particularly difficult part I need to get written in order to make the rest of what I want to write fit.

    David: Thanks.

    It's kind of strange, but that piece of creative fiction I posted here in Nov '08 seemed to pick the lock that opened the floodgates. Since then, I got one book finished, one book 75% completed, posted 55 stories on FSG, one on yours, one other on here and four more on tap.

    All in the span of 18 months.

    Not sure when it's gonna stop, but I'm gonna milk it for what its worth.

    ReplyDelete

Go on, give me your best shot. I can take it. If I couldn't, I wouldn't have created this wonderful little blog that you decided to grace with your presence today.

About that comment moderation thingy: While yes, it does say up above I can take it, I only use it to prevent the occasional miscreant from leaving thoughtless and/or clueless comments.

So remember, all of your comments are greatly appreciated and all answers will be given that personal touch that you come to expect and enjoy.

G. B. Miller

The Legal Disclaimer

All the content that you see here, except for the posting of links that refer to other off-blog stories, is (c) 2008-17 by G.B. Miller. Nothing in whole or in part may be used without the express written permission of myself. If you wish to use any part of what you see here, please contact me at georgebjr2006@gmail.com