Saturday, July 5, 2008

The Banana House


Howdy folks!

First off, I would like to thank GumbyTheCat for giving me the idea of writing about stuff from childhood, with his wonderful post about his childhood in Akron. Many thanks my good friend.
~~~~
Anyways, on to fun stuff.
~~~~
The neighborhood where I grew up, was a relatively quiet section of town. All the houses were the same and pleasant to look at. Except for one.
~~~~
I had a neighbor who was a bit of an eccentric. Actually, she was what you would call nowadays, an "artiste". Anyways, she lived in a house that was similar in weirdness to the picture that you see here now.
~~~~
It was a one story cape, sitting on a small corner lot, in a nice neighborhood about a 1/2 mile from where I live.
~~~~
It was also painted in multiple colors, just like the picture. The window shutters were an ugly shade of green and red, the trim a deep shade of purple with a shade of bright white as a border. The main color of the outside of the house was a weird shade of blue.
~~~~
Not only were the various colors of the house "off", the lawn decorations were slightly "off" as well. In keeping with the general theme of weirdness, sprinkled all around the front yard, the back yard and the side yard, were toilets.
~~~~
That's right people, toilets. About a dozen and a half of different kinds of toilets. Occasionally, kids would leave various kinds of "presents" in them, but for the most part, they were non-functioning.
~~~~
And finally, to make this picture complete, we come to the description that is the title of this post. On the front of the house, smack dab in the middle of the house, was a picture of a banana.
~~~~
A big banana.
~~~~
A big yellow banana.
~~~~
A big yellow, half peeled banana.
~~~~
Thus, the nickname of the house was "The Banana House". And in keeping with the eccentric spirit of the owner, from what I was told about a half peeled banana (and I could be wrong on this), it meant that the owner of said half peeled banana was bisexual.
~~~~
Whether this was true or not, I don't know. Nor did I ever try to confirm that this was true.
~~~~
The main reason that I write about The Banana House, is that earlier this year, the late owner's son put the house up for sale. It now looks like every other house on the block, with trimmed grass and a clean property.
~~~~
So thus, a little bit of strange suburbia humor for your day.
~~~~
One other thing: This can be proved. If you feel adventurous, this house was written up in a local paper called "The Newington Town Crier" back in the early 1980's (or to be more precise '83-'85). Microfilm is a wonderful thing and it can be borrowed through your local library.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Go on, give me your best shot. I can take it. If I couldn't, I wouldn't have created this wonderful little blog that you decided to grace with your presence today.

About that comment moderation thingy: While yes, it does say up above I can take it, I only use it to prevent the occasional miscreant from leaving thoughtless and/or clueless comments.

So remember, all of your comments are greatly appreciated and all answers will be given that personal touch that you come to expect and enjoy.

G. B. Miller

The Legal Disclaimer

All the content that you see here, except for the posting of links that refer to other off-blog stories, is (c) 2008-17 by G.B. Miller. Nothing in whole or in part may be used without the express written permission of myself. If you wish to use any part of what you see here, please contact me at georgebjr2006@gmail.com