Friday, August 15, 2008

Random Thoughts About My Adventures In Writing

Howdy!

I'm leaving for vaca tomorrow (like you weren't able to figure that out from my post of 8/14), so I want to leave you an update on the writing portion of my life.

#1: Got a few more rejections from agents this past month, and unlike the dozen or so that are gathering dust in my desk drawer, these two actually offered some critique and encouragement. One stated that my writing wasn't strong enough for today's market, while the other thought I was a good writer, but didn't have the resources to represent all of the manuscripts that crossed his desk.

Even though I'm going the self-publishing route with my first novel (Shades of Love, out in the Fall), it still was very nice to get some very useful feedback on my manuscript from the earlier rejection. Doesn't mean I totally agree with it, but nevertheless it will help me in the long run to become a better writer.

As for the second rejection (this was originally sent to him back in January), it is refreshing to know that someone thought highly of my manuscript, even though they declined representation of it. Another motivational tool for me to use in my writing.

#2: Speaking of the novel, I'm still waiting for the second galley to come back from the publisher. Nice to know that things still grind slowly, no matter what it is that you do in life. Hopefully I'll be able to approve the corrections and will be able to forward and implement my business plan.

#3: Still haven't tried to write anything really original. Been revising the short story I posted here earlier into something more manageable and likable. Would like to get it published first as a chapbook before I swing into a full length novel for it. Might get motivated to write something while on vacation, maybe something like the short story I posted here back in June.

Basically, this sums up the writing portion of my life as of August 2008. I've been able to get a lot of good tips from the various writing blogs that frequent with regularity (and whose links are featured on the left hand side of this blog), so that has helped me tremendously with my writing.

Without further ado, I bid you adieu.

Have a safe and sane upcoming week, and God willing, I'll be back here again the week of the 24th.

Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Go on, give me your best shot. I can take it. If I couldn't, I wouldn't have created this wonderful little blog that you decided to grace with your presence today.

About that comment moderation thingy: While yes, it does say up above I can take it, I only use it to prevent the occasional miscreant from leaving thoughtless and/or clueless comments.

So remember, all of your comments are greatly appreciated and all answers will be given that personal touch that you come to expect and enjoy.

G. B. Miller

The Legal Disclaimer

All the content that you see here, except for the posting of links that refer to other off-blog stories, is (c) 2008-17 by G.B. Miller. Nothing in whole or in part may be used without the express written permission of myself. If you wish to use any part of what you see here, please contact me at georgebjr2006@gmail.com