Sunday, February 15, 2009

And You Started A Blog Because.....

I wonder if anyone else has experienced this particular issue in which I'm going to talk about today?

I currently have 43 blogs that I have bookmarked in my favorites, and for the most part, I follow them all. However, out of those 43, I have five that can be classified as dead, one on life support (I'll explain later), and one that is on hiatus.

The one on hiatus is easily explainable, in that the person running it, is currently experiencing a monetary boom in the real world, and thus can't give it the proper attention it richly deserves. This is what he has stated in his very last post. He also stated once things get situated to his liking, he'll slowly get back into the swing of things with the blog (and I'm sure he'll correct me if I got any of this info wrong).

The other, which I consider to be on life support, hasn't been updated in a couple of weeks. I would like to think that the reason it hasn't been, is because the real world has once again taken precedence over the blog world, which is as it should be. This has happened periodically with this person and I'm sure once things get situated, the blog will be its lively self again.

The other four though, present a sticky problem. Three of them, I found because they were nice enough to pick up my blog as a follower, so I returned the favor. The other two, I simply found because one left a comment on my blog and the other left a comment on another blog that I follow.

What do you do if the blog that you're following/or is following you, hasn't been updated for months on end? Do you try to make a comment to see what's been going on (tried that a couple of times)? Or do you simply drop the blog from your reader and move on?

The problem I face is that with these particular blogs, the blogger has seem to have vanished from the prying eyes of the blog world, without so much as a brief post saying, "sorry, but I feel that I can't do this blog anymore."

I have blogs bookmarked that on average, haven't been updated for over a month and a half (or in one case two and half months). I even have one blog that the blogger apparently nuked without really telling anyone about it, save for a brief post stating they were thinking about merging it with another.

On one hand, it would make sense for me to stop following those blogs. On the other hand, if I did that, then on the off chance that these people somehow decide to update their blog, I would miss the update. Right now, these blogs are out of sight (because I have them in a folder called "Blogs That Are No More") and thus out of mind.

And there you have it, one way that a blogger can blow his/her mind: trying to decide to keep a blog bookmarked, or getting rid of said bookmark.

What would you do?

20 comments:

  1. I leave them on my Google reader so they show up right away if they add a new post. I've got quite a few blogs like that on my list as well. if it's someone I've actually gotten close to I might follow up with a question, or email them if their email is available, just to make sure all is well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have that done as well (listed in my Google reader as a blog that I follow, that is). These particular blogers were nice enough to list me in their profile as a blog that they follow, so I reciprocated.

    They were very nice blogs in general and they were a welcome addition to my faves.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Travis!

    Hope all is well.

    It's a tough thing for sure. I really do enjoy following the blogs that I got.

    I'm still concerned about those particular blogs, but it looks like I'll be doing the same thing as the both of you are.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm in the same boat with Charles and Travis:) I will add one area that annoys me and that's the blogger who leaves a comment on my page once and only plans on coming back every two or three months. Of course, I don't realize that at first and faithfully read their posts and leave comments.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That sounds like it can be quite annoying. I do know that I try to read yours as much as I can, and I try to make it a habit of at least leaving a comment a week as well.

    My apologies if I haven't commented as frequently as I wanted to.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have left a "checking-in" question on a couple favorite blogs, but generally find that if not managed, blogging can easily take up much time. If someone hasn't updated in a couple months, I take them off the list to keep things manageable and effective.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Makes sense.

    I used to do that early on in my blogging life.

    I would frequently add and drop blogs that either weren't updated or (like you alluded to) just weren't managed properly.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I usually leave people on my list. I've had friends in "real life" update only once in a blue moon, so I don't jump the gun right away.

    My blogroll has stayed the same in so long, I really should change that, but I am daunted with the update. My "followers," I leave unchanged regardless of how often they post because to me it's just saying, "I enjoy your blog."

    ReplyDelete
  9. Same here with my followers. I find that because they were impressed enough with my blogging to list me on their profile as a blog fave, the very least I can do is keep them listed on mine (both as a follower and as bookmarked fave).

    But yeah, updating one's blog roll can be daunting task. I did it the other day, and it was a really hard thing for me to do.

    I enjoy all the blogs I got bookmarked, but sometimes, if the love isn't returned, you just got to make that break.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey Georgie - I think the folder option is a good one. I have a few like that that I check in on every now and then. Sometimes it is a nice surprise that they are back.

    Happy Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It is a decent option at that.

    I moved my non-functioning blogs over to that, so basically they're out of sight and out of mind.

    If/when they get updated, I'll be able to tell right away from my Google reader.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Blogging is like any other social interaction, if they don't speak to you the reasons are few;

    dead

    despaired of the web

    distracted by something better.

    So after 6 silent months, bin it and move on, life is too short to worry about which D it is.

    dave, aka OFaBOF.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That's funny.

    I like that.

    I figured as much that they found something else better to do.

    Still, it makes me wonder.

    ReplyDelete
  14. If a blog I follow mysteriously ceases producing posts, I'll usually leave a comment asking what's going on, and then check back like once a week. No big deal.

    ReplyDelete
  15. That's what I did early on. I left a couple of comments, just to see if the person would eventually respond, but no soap.

    I did find out that one of the blogs I moved into never-never land, made a post over the weekend, explaining what had happened in the past month with him.

    ReplyDelete
  16. At the moment, I kind of have a 3-comment policy. If they haven't commented back to my blog after I've left them 3 comments, I delete their blog. That probably sounds a bit harsh and to be quite frank I can't always remember exactly how many comments I've left on a blog since they have last been back to me. But I'm usually pretty accurate about it having been 3.

    And of course I check their posts to be sure they aren't in hospital or really sick or having family troubles or soemthing.

    Sometimes we just click better with some people than others too. Probaly the ones I'm closer to I will not be as quick to give up.

    Blogging takes a lot of time and energy. I love it reciprocated. And YOU are so wonderful at that Georgie. (Better than I, I must confess, but I am following about 85 blogs now. Yikes. And really doing my guitar work 2 hours a day, 6 days a week.)

    Still, I do think of and miss the ones who suddenly disappear. And hope they are well.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Three comments does sound harsh, but it sounds like a necessary thing to do.

    That is a very small pet peeve of mine, in that I leave comments and the person doesn't acknowledge them in any particular way.

    85 blogs? Who wee, I have enough on my plate just handling the 40+ that I follow now.

    With what I have, I try to make the full round of them at least twice a week, and then do spot hits during the week (like yours for example).

    And thanks for the compliment, it was very thoughtful of you to say so.

    You gotta let your readers know if you're taking pre-orders for your CD, because I certainly want to put mine order in as early as possible.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I was wondering...what happens to blogs that don't get updated for months or even years? Do they finally get purged or do they just languish forever? Can the blogger remove them? I've clicked onto interesting titles only to find the last post is very, very old.

    TRUTH

    ReplyDelete
  19. A blogger can basically do two things if they want to close up shop.

    1) They can make it by private invitation only, which in essence means its closed for viewing but it isn't purged.

    2) They can actually purge their blog, although this a very drastic measure.

    Beyond that, I'm not sure what really happens to them. That may be a question to ask of Blogger/Google.

    ReplyDelete

Go on, give me your best shot. I can take it. If I couldn't, I wouldn't have created this wonderful little blog that you decided to grace with your presence today.

About that comment moderation thingy: While yes, it does say up above I can take it, I only use it to prevent the occasional miscreant from leaving thoughtless and/or clueless comments.

So remember, all of your comments are greatly appreciated and all answers will be given that personal touch that you come to expect and enjoy.

G. B. Miller

The Legal Disclaimer

All the content that you see here, except for the posting of links that refer to other off-blog stories, is (c) 2008-17 by G.B. Miller. Nothing in whole or in part may be used without the express written permission of myself. If you wish to use any part of what you see here, please contact me at georgebjr2006@gmail.com