As I stated previously, my grandfather was a little bit strange when it came to buying/listening to music. Not only did he seem to concentrate on one particular label (RCA Victor, which I'm guessing was the label for country music back in the 60's/early 70's), but he was also concentrating on a reissue label that specialized in doing that particular label to begin with.
I would, on numerous occasions, find the original release of a particular artist and the reissue of that same release. You name any country artist from the late 60's through the early 70's (what I consider to be the golden age of commercial country) and chances are that I would have at least three originals and three reissues for that artist.
Now, for some particular reason that I have only a slight working theme on (and if any of you have parents/grandparents still alive, you might have the same inkling as well), he bought about three to four dozen albums (all original releases) that were put out by MCA back in the late 80's, of which about 75% were in the rock genre, with the remaining 25% in country.
Some examples of artists that he'd acquired:
1} Rossington-Collins; 2} Rox (features the guitar work of Snuffy Walden); 3} Phil Seymour; 4} Blood, Sweat, & Tears;
5} Highway 101; 6} Hank Williams, Jr.; 7} Randy Travis; 8} Emmylou Harris;
9} The Catholic Girls; 10} The Bellamy Brothers; 11} Klique
Now, he never actually listened to theses, as when I acquired them, they were still in their original shrink wrap, but simply kept them in their original shipping container. The working theory I got is that in some kind of perverse way, he enjoyed spending money frivolously. There are other instances of this kind of odd OCD, but we'll save that for another time.
Back to the music collection.
One of the more interesting albums I found, basically confirmed that when he got older, he got stranger. Actually, I wouldn't use the word "stranger", but "enlightened".
Warning: What you are about to read next could be construed in some quarters as offensive/tasteless. Reader discretion is strongly advised.
As I was inventorying his collection, I would pull out each album to see who it was and briefly scan the jacket for liner notes and what not. When I pulled out this particular album, the first thing that popped out (literally) was the cover. The cover featured a hot looking blond, who was wearing only a cowboy hat and a pair of jeans with the top button undone and unzipped.
So after putting my eyes back into my head, I got to reading the liner notes of this fun-filled little album of what was supposed to X-rated material (probably was back in the 70's when this came out), and to tell you the truth, I wasn't impressed. Listening to it impressed me even less, because I've heard it done better elsewhere. Shoot, I even saw it done better on MTV.
This little album, entitled Country Porn, contains 10 tracks of what I would consider to be very high schoolish music. It wasn't particularly good, it didn't certainly didn't make me laugh and to tell you the honest truth, until I started writing this post, I had completely forgotten about it. Yes, it was just that memorable. Seriously, if this kind of stuff is your bag, or if you're just simply curious about this type of music, please check out John Valby. He does it better and has been doing it longer than any other performer that I know of. Warning: his website is graphic. Enter at your own risk.
Thus ends part 2 of My Grandfather's Record Collection. Tune in next time for who knows what I'll talk about as it pertains to my grandfather's record collection. I tell you one thing, I've been remembering some nifty stuff as these posts were being created, and guess what gang, you get to come along for the ride.