I don't read horror.
And its not because I don't like it. It's just because that it doesn't affect me in the way that the other types that I do read affect me.
A good example of this would be the last time I visited Beat To A Pulp. They had a short story posted by a well known writer of horror that everyone was going ga-ga over (sorry, no disrespect intended, just trying to make a point). So I went over to see what the hub-bub was all about.
While I found it to be well written and interesting (which is what I put in the comments, "interesting"), the entire story didn't affect me to the degree that it did to the others who left comments about it. In fact, it didn't affect me at all. To me, a story in which the end result was a woman eaten up by rats just didn't leave that kind of lasting impression on me.
The reason, I believe, why horror doesn't affect me, can be directly traced to the one genre that I first got hooked into as a teenager, and one that remains my favorite to this day.
I originally got hooked into reading about true crime and its many, many offshoots when I was a teenager and still read it to this day as an adult. The books that I have in my collection, which I wrote about here, are heads and shoulders about what anyone in the horror genre can come up with.
In addition to reading books about true crime, I've also found an excellent portal about the many facets of true crime and death (both go hand in hand) called Death and Dementia(side note: going to Rotten dot com will probably scare you or gross you out more than most horror fiction available today).
Also, while I was working in the archives department at the State Library (2001-03) I had the time during my day-to-day activities to peruse the various county coroner records that the state keeps stored there.
So as you can probably imagine, being exposed to such real life horror for the past twenty-five years has desensitize me to about 99% of whatever kind of horror anyone can churn out for that genre and its sub-genres. I'll let you figure out what the remaining 1% that does affect me is.
What it boils down to is this: Horror as an overall genre doesn't appeal to me, because no matter what elements a particular story may contain, it simply doesn't make the kind of lasting impression that the other kinds of genres (like true crime) that I do enjoy reading do.
In my humble opinion, once you get hooked into reading true crime, all types of fictional horror simply don't make the grade.