Saturday, June 21, 2008

Why I like to write chapbooks & novellas

I find it's much easier for me to write chapbooks/novellas (chapbooks are stories with a word count of 8,000-14,000; novellas 14,000 to about 20,000+), than it is to write traditional short stories. With a traditional short story, you basically have to get the end before you can develop the beginning or the middle (which is why I detest writing them to begin with). An nontraditional short story gives one the opportunity to develop all parts and come to a satisfactory conclusion.

The beauty about writing a chapbook-style story, is that it can serve a dual function. One, it can be a stand alone story. Two, you can use it as an outline, in case you ever want to convert it into a novella or a novel.

I would like to with you, a chapbook-type story that I wrote in 2007. I've entered it into a couple of contests, but like everything else, has come up empty. No matter though, as I'm in the process of fleshing this out and creating a dual plotted novel with it.

Entitled "A Betrayal of Vows", it tells the basic story of a marriage gone sour, when one spouse is caught cheating on another, with tragic results.

Disclaimer: This story contains some inappropriate language. If that type of stuff offends you, then please don't read the story.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Go on, give me your best shot. I can take it. If I couldn't, I wouldn't have created this wonderful little blog that you decided to grace with your presence today.

About that comment moderation thingy: While yes, it does say up above I can take it, I only use it to prevent the occasional miscreant from leaving thoughtless and/or clueless comments.

So remember, all of your comments are greatly appreciated and all answers will be given that personal touch that you come to expect and enjoy.

G. B. Miller

The Legal Disclaimer

All the content that you see here, except for the posting of links that refer to other off-blog stories, is (c) 2008-17 by G.B. Miller. Nothing in whole or in part may be used without the express written permission of myself. If you wish to use any part of what you see here, please contact me at georgebjr2006@gmail.com