Monday, September 1, 2008

My Home Away From Home


This my home away from home. This is where I spend the better part of 1/3 of my day working for our fearless leader (in this case, the Dept of Children & Families) creating paychecks for approximately 600 people and handling tuition reimbursement for the other 3,400 people that are eligible for it.

I would like to describe these two snapshots of my second home to everyone, just so that you can get an inkling of what I'm about.

Up first, the photo on the left. Starting at the top, the first thing that you see is a nameplate of my alter ego, along with a green bead chain (her favorite color). Continuing across that little ledge is followed by is a picture of my daughter given to me for Father's day; a picture of her ice skating; a couple of magnets given to me by my co-workers and a paperweight with the CCSU logo on it.

On the shelf itself, the following can be seen:

1) A piggy bank of the NY Mets (Go Mets!)
2) a stuffed doggie (shaddup!)
3) a hand carved pewter statue of a Cival War battle scene
4) a book on how to speak Jamaican (Hey Mon!)
5) a birthday card from a friend that plays the Chicken Dance
6) a thank you card from another friend
7) a plaque of the 2007 NY Mets (Big time collapse, yes I know)
8) a picture of my wonderful wife
9) a clock with the CCSU logo on it (given to me as a Christmas present by my late father)
10) a little race car.

On the bottom of the photo, you can see a few drawings done by my daughter (brightens my morning every day) and the remnants of my in-box.

Nice huh?

As for the second photo, this mostly pertains to my sense of humor and strange outlook on life. In the second one, you can definitely see my lack of organization skills on my desk and shelves. The contents of the bookcase are as follows:

On the first shelf, you can see a snippet of the multitude of contracts I deal with on a daily basis (I deal with about several different bargaining units on a given day. And people wonder why I have such a chip on my shoulder).

On the top of the bookcase, you can see the following:

1)a couple of fishes that I bought while visiting the Columbus Zoo (highly recommend that you visit it someday)
2) a Bazooka Joe bobble head doll (had to chew a lot of gum to get enough comics for that)
3) a California Dancing Raisin (remember those from the 80's? "I Heard it Through the Grapevine!")
4) a piggy bank of the New England Patriots with a few Dum-Dum lollys thrown in
5) a picture of my daughter performing as Pebbles in a dance competition (yes, she won)
6) a NY Mets squeeze toy that I got from a co-worker last Christmas
7) Roger Rabbit.

I hope you enjoyed this little trip to the cubicle of a non-typical state worker. Souvenirs are available at the gift shop near the elevators, and remember, because this is the government, prices are marked up 75%.

2 comments:

  1. I love these little glimpses inside of people's worlds! Im enjoying the story too, but it feels awkward to me to comment. (Im also the kind of person that doesn't write in the margins either, so there you go)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Commenting can be fun.

    Like it says, give me your best shot. If you enjoy anything here, let me know, if you don't, let me know that as well.

    Glad you're enjoying the story too. I have two others that you can check out as well.

    ReplyDelete

Go on, give me your best shot. I can take it. If I couldn't, I wouldn't have created this wonderful little blog that you decided to grace with your presence today.

About that comment moderation thingy: While yes, it does say up above I can take it, I only use it to prevent the occasional miscreant from leaving thoughtless and/or clueless comments.

So remember, all of your comments are greatly appreciated and all answers will be given that personal touch that you come to expect and enjoy.

G. B. Miller

The Legal Disclaimer

All the content that you see here, except for the posting of links that refer to other off-blog stories, is (c) 2008-17 by G.B. Miller. Nothing in whole or in part may be used without the express written permission of myself. If you wish to use any part of what you see here, please contact me at georgebjr2006@gmail.com