Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Deep Down, You Know You Got It

Country that is.

C'mon, fess up.

You may listen to the most kick ass hard rook, schlockiest manufactured pop, the vapidness that is modern R&B, the wimpiest hip or even classical music, but deep down, you know you secretly like country.

And I'm not talking about the Nashville manufactured crap that is country pop, but the real classic (pre-Garth Brooks) country and its sub-genres americana & bluegrass.

If you're like me, you probably grew up listening to classic country/classic folk music, and if you're like me, spent the better part of three decades trying to get as far away from it as humanly possible.

Which means you spent your years formative listening to 80's rock (missing 70's rock by country mile); 90's rock, 80's & 90's punk, discovering heavy metal, industrial metal, grindcore metal, death metal (but not on purpose), soul, true R&B, funk, and even BMJ pop.

Eventually, after prolong exposure to college radio, you start drifting back to country music. But you don't go directly to it. Instead, you make a slight detour to say, this:


or perhaps, after becoming intrigued listening to those late 80's/very early 90's ads for Yahoo, you might listen to this:


Or..or...you make still yet another detour, this time listening to a little bluegrass:


Finally, you arrive back to whence you came, and now you're listening to classic country music. You soon find yourself transported back in time and glazed look falls across your face. Your best bud happens to wander by, sees that you're a space cadet and sadly shakes his head, 'cause he knows that he just lost you to the dark side of life, where things were quieter, gentler, manners were in vogue and gas was under $2 a gallon.

Before he leaves though, he whips out his handy dandy cell phone, shoots a one minute video of you drooling to the backbeat, which soon goes viral, making you the laughingstock of not only the neighborhood, but pretty much your family, your friends, your job, complete strangers, and the elementary school K thru 5.

So remember kids, if you're gonna go back to your roots and listen to country music, make sure that no one can see ya, 'cause ya know, what happens in your head should stay in your head, and not become public knowledge.

7 comments:

  1. I do like some country, and more so as I've gotten older.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Umm...no. Maybe because I lived in Texas for a few years. Come to think of it, I never liked it.

    Unless you count John Denver.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not a fan of bluegrass but I am of every other form of country.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Charles: Having grown up on classic country, I can't stand the modern stuff. Having said that, I very much enjoy the various sub-genres that out there these days, especially at my age.

    M: John Denver is more popish than country. But at least you got a teeny weeny bit of country in your blood. :D

    David: I never really listened to bluegrass until I started working for the State of CT, then I really got into it. Nowadays, I get my fill with a four hour Saturday show on one of the local college stations.

    I love Americana, but I can never find it on college radio anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Country is Ernie Tubbs and George Jones. Country is Marty Robbins. Country is Tammy Wynette, Patsy Cline and Loretta Lynn, The Grand Ole Oprey and Buck Owens.......

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really like bluegrass, and some country, as long as it's really twangy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. G.A.: I absolutely wholeheartedly agree. I got some Buck Owens stashed in my record collection somewhere.

    Lynn: Twangy is da boomb! :D

    ReplyDelete

Go on, give me your best shot. I can take it. If I couldn't, I wouldn't have created this wonderful little blog that you decided to grace with your presence today.

About that comment moderation thingy: While yes, it does say up above I can take it, I only use it to prevent the occasional miscreant from leaving thoughtless and/or clueless comments.

So remember, all of your comments are greatly appreciated and all answers will be given that personal touch that you come to expect and enjoy.

G. B. Miller

The Legal Disclaimer

All the content that you see here, except for the posting of links that refer to other off-blog stories, is (c) 2008-17 by G.B. Miller. Nothing in whole or in part may be used without the express written permission of myself. If you wish to use any part of what you see here, please contact me at georgebjr2006@gmail.com